Thursday, May 22, 2008

Project Goals

I initially came up with the idea of deigning and building a robot and then implementing vision - with internet control - on it. Basically, I wanted to build a robot I could control over the internet while being able to see everything within its vision range. This will allow me control the it from any computer - anywhere in the world - so long as it has an internet access.

After several consultation with my supervisor, he came up with the suggestion I use a robot platform from some other student's previous year final project. This will no doubt make life easy for me as I now only need to implement the vision aspect on this robot.

Apparently, the student - we'll refer to him as James from now on - built a robot platform last year (2007 session) with an intention of implementing vision and being able to control it over the internet, just like mine. Unfortunately, he ran out of time but did a tremenduous job and came very close to achieving the goal. Now all the system needs is its ability to see and being able to be controlled by anyone over the internet.

I have talked with him and my lecturer about this and have come up with the things I need to make this a success. They are the set goals that must be achieved at the end of the year. The list below show the goals in brief:

Summary of Project Goals:

i. Design/fabricate new PCB for microcontroller board
ii. Incorporate the camera (vision system)
iii. Enhance the web control
iv. Implement PID speed control of the motor.

These goals will be followed one step at a time with the hope of completing them all by the end of this session (in November 2008)

No comments: